Saturday, May 27, 2017

Off The Air At Last!

Influential KROQ DJ Rodney Bingenheimer talks about being taken off the air
Took long enough. Like, 37 yrs., man.
Hey!

He can't read baby he can't talk/He's L.A.'s favorite punk rock jock
Glitter bands and Bowie's cock/Are his ideas of new wave rock

You're a fuckin' piece of shit now Rodney/I don't think you're so hot
You make me laugh with those clothes you wear/And those stupid teeth you've got

Get off the air! Get off the air!/You pathetic male groupie, you don't impress me
Get off the air! You fuckin' square/You're just a jerk as far as I can see

8 p.m., Rodney's on the air/He's beating off in Joan Jet's hair
Christmas Eve, what d'you got?/Four hours of Phil Spector rot

You're a fuckin' piece of shit now Rodney/I don't think you're so hot
You make me laugh with those clothes you wear/And those lame-brain teeth you've got

Get off the air! Get off the air!/You pathetic male queer, you don't impress me
Get off the air! You fuckin' square/You're just a jerk as far as I can see
Couldn't take the heat:
Shortly after the Angry Samoans formed in late 1978, Mike Saunders, Turner and Homer wrote an infamous song about longtime LA/Hollywood scenemaker and KROQ-FM DJ Rodney Bingenheimer, titled "Get Off the Air." When the song was included on the band's first record, Inside My Brain, the Samoans were blacklisted at the Starwood, Whisky a Go Go, and any other club in Hollywood/LA proper for about two years during mid-1980 through late 1982, seemingly due to Bingenheimer's strong influence with the LA/Hollywood club scene.
Little bastard.

No comments: